From: Jason Cooper <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo as a development platform
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 00:48:35
1 Daniel Drake (dsd@g.o) scribbled:
2 > Quite often, I use Gentoo's from-source nature to my advantage when developing
3 > or testing software packages.
4 >
5 > Gentoo is fairly well oriented for this kind of environment, but it's not
6 > brilliant. As an example, foo-3.2.1 (the latest version) is installed on my
7 > system, but more recently, they fixed a critical bug in the upstream CVS tree
8 > which I'd like to test the fix for. It's not dead simple for me to do this - I
9 > want to use the CVS sources with the ebuild already in portage. I have to use
10 > "ebuild foo-3.2.1.ebuild unpack" to extract the sources, then manually replace
11 > them with my CVS checkout. Or checkout CVS, make a new tarball, call it
12 > foo-3.2.1.tar.bz2, redigest and remerge the ebuild. Or I could create a
13 > foo-cvs ebuild and go to the trouble of making it mirror the contents of
14 > foo-3.2.1.ebuild exactly.
15 >
16 > It's great that its *possible* right now thanks to portage and co, but I'm
17 > interested in ways of making this easier. Before I give this more thought, I'd
18 > be interested to know if anyone has already got any scripts or tips :)
19
20 What about something akin to gcc? ie. you create a
21 /usr/local/portage/foo-ness/foo/foo-cvs.ebuild, then adapt gcc-config to
22 select which installed package to use, foo-1.2.3 or foo-cvs? Would
23 definitely be some work, but would be a good long-term, easily
24 maintainable solution. 'foo-config cvs' would use the last cvs build
25 you did, then 'foo-config 1.2.3' would drop you back to regular.
26
27 hth,
28
29 Cooper.