From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Go ebuilds bundling multiple upstream sources
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 15:36:09
1 All,
2
3 we have digressed a bit, so I want to bring the discussion back to what
4 my main concerns are about this issue.
5
6 1. Should we bundle Go packages with Go software?
7
8 If we do, except for the Go standard library which is part of
9 dev-lang/go, do we need to bother with installing Go sources and
10 packages at all?
11
12 The down side of the whole bundling idea is that every consumer
13 on someone's system could potentially have a different version of the
14 Go package, which doesn't lend itself well to security concerns.
15
16 This is why bundling is generally discouraged in Gentoo.
17
18 Also, if we bundle, most of dev-go/* doesn't need to exist because these
19 libraries would be bundled into and statically linked into the software
20 that needs them.
21
22 2. How should we bundle?
23
24 This is where my concern about consul and some other ebuilds comes in.
25
26 The way the consul ebuild is written (putting the commit hashes of
27 dependencies in SRC_URI) assumes that all of the dependencies will stay
28 on github. This makes the ebuild far less flexable than go itself is.
29
30 If we are going to bundle, I would rather have one tarball that includes
31 all of the sources for consul and the dependent libraries dropped on the
32 Gentoo mirrors. Such a tarball is very easy to create.
33
34 Thoughts?
35
36 William