From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fonts, Xfree, Linux
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:40:17
1 On Friday 30 May 2003 11:30, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > OK, the above combination, as we all know, blows dogs. Having said that, I
5 > have some ideas. First, to reiterate as in my last e-mail: xfree-4.3.0-r3
6 > is moving towards *NOT* installing *ANY* fonts at all. All the xfree
7 > built-in fonts will move to separate packages in media-fonts. Additionally
8 > *ALL* fonts will be in /usr/share/fonts, rather than
9 > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts (and I had to hold back from exaggerating it to
10 > say /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/R6/include/lib/X/X11/X11R6/misc/lib/fonts :P).
11 >
12 > The idea is that this will be a centralised location for system fonts. All
13 > user custom fonts would go into /usr/share/fonts (or perhaps
14 > /usr/local/share/fonts -- not sure on that one, and not sure how much
15 > complexity it would add).
16 >
17 > Anyway, RedHat developed a tool called chkfontpath which updates
18 > /etc/X11/fs/config with font paths to be added, removed, queried and what
19 > not. It seems most binary distros distribute this utility. We had a look
20 > at it (popt is a required dependency for it), and I've asked Graham
21 > (vladimir@g.o) to come up with a perl equivalent for it. To me, it seems
22 > that coding that in C and using popt is overkill.
23 >
24 > So the idea he and I discussed was to have this utility (or set of
25 > utilities) to update the fontpaths in /etc/X11/fs/config as well as
26 > /etc/X11/XF86Config (IF the font path is other than unix:/7100 in that
27 > file).
28 >
29 > Now, here's the question. Gentoo policy dictates that we do not touch
30 > files in /etc. During emerge, this is fine, we can provide a file to be
31 > etc-update'd. The concern is during emerge unmerge, when a font path is to
32 > be removed.
33 >
34 > I guess the question is: do we violate policy on these two files, or is
35 > there a more clever solution to this? One thought which comes up is to
36 > have the utility just check which font paths exist in /usr/share/fonts and
37 > make sure both files have them. Again, that would violate policy :/
38 >
39 > The other thought which arises is to have those files in /usr/share/xfree
40 > or some such, but I'm not entirely comfortable with that, either.
43 I think we could have some utility that takes the real XF86Config and creates
44 a new file for it. This could just be ._cfg0001_XF86Config, where it checks
45 for other versions and if the differences are only with the fonts overwrites
46 it, else not. This way we simulate config protection.
47
48 Paul
51 Paul de Vrieze
52 Researcher