From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 23:26:02
1 On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina
2 <zerochaos@g.o> wrote:
3 > Choice is fine, I love choice, but to have a user unpack a stage tarball
4 > and find no way at all to handle their networking.... that's just ugly.
5 > I mean we could just have dhcpcd in @system and let people figure it
6 > out from there (wouldn't be my first choice but it would work) but I
7 > would say it is rare enough to not need net that removing all networking
8 > options from stage3 is near suicidal.
9 >
10 > I can do all kinds of amazing things on a system without an MTA. But if
11 > I have no net I can't even install net....
12
13 If you have no bootloader you can't install a bootloader. If you have
14 no kernel...
15
16 You don't need dhcpcd in your stage3 to chroot into your stage3 - the
17 network is established by the install CD. You just lose the network
18 if you reboot before you've installed a network manager, in which case
19 you need to reboot from the CD, chroot, install the network manager,
20 and then reboot again. It is no different than forgetting to install
21 other popular and critical packages like lilo or pf-sources, and I
22 don't see anybody suggesting that those should be on the stage3.
23
24 I don't use WiFi so it isn't that big a deal for me personally, but I
25 can see the argument in making the installation of a network manager
26 part of the handbook. We already have a whole page on how to set up
27 the network for the install CD itself assuming dhcp doesn't just work.
28
29 Rich