From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 07:06:10
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:31:46 +0200 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 > Sunrise was a great way to learn packaging for Gentoo. Reviews were *very*
5 > strict in the past, resulting in better QA standards than the Gentoo main tree
6 > - - and a definite frustration threshold that one had to overcome. With a couple
7 > of packages in Sunrise, doing the quizzes was a piece of cake though.
8 >
9 > That said...
10 >
11 > If there's no activity anymore, we definitely should remove the overlay from
12 > Layman and (important!) remove the mentions of Sunrise from our web pages
13 > (e.g., "contributing to Gentoo").
14
15 I agree that sunrise should be retired, but this must be done
16 gracefully, because people (including myself) are still using some
17 packages from it.
18
19 A grace period (between read-only state and removal from layman and
20 other listings) should be at least one year, maybe several years
21 as was suggested in another e-mail here. This way people will be
22 able to safely migrate and pick any packages of interest from
23 sunrise to the main tree or other repos.
24
25 Best regards,
26 Andrew Savchenko