From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Undocumented and unused USE variables
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:31:08
1 On 03/16/2012 08:05, Christoph Niethammer wrote:
4 > Here is the list of USE flags I identified at my system:
5 >
6 > * Undocumented use flags:
7 > ----------
8
9 [snip]
10
11 > nptlonly
12
13 [snip]
14
15 nptlonly was used during the transition from linuxthreads to NPTL in glibc.
16 The toolchain would build glibc twice, once with linuxthreads, and the
17 other with NPTL. By setting this USE flag, you would cause glibc to only
18 build the NPTL version, thus cutting the build-time in half.
19
20 Whether it's needed or not anymore, I am not certain. It might be left over
21 for people who need an upgrade path from such an old glibc to something newer.
24 Joshua Kinard
25 Gentoo/MIPS
26 kumba@g.o
27 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
28
29 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
30 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
31
32 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic