From: Luis Francisco Araujo <araujo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Xmms needs to die.
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:10:40
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 >> On Thursday 24 August 2006 20:46, Alec Warner wrote:
4 >>> Robert Cernansky wrote:
5 >>>> What bothers me also, is that it has not plugin design like
6 >>>> xmms. Support for plugins is very good because lot of people can write
7 >>>> plugins for lot of things. This is why people do not want to switch
8 >>>> from xmms because thanks to plugins it have so many features that
9 >>>> currently no player is able to overcome it.
10 >>> So port the plugins from xmms to $NEW_CLIENT, since xmms is an old piece
11 >>> of crap.
12 >> Who cares. It works (mostly), it is lightweight, and there are enough people
13 >> using it to keep it in the tree. As long as things don't break beyond repair
14 >> I see no reason whatsoever to remove xmms (or any other largely unmaintained
15 >> package in the tree).
16 >>
17 >> Paul
20 > This is one of those things (along with qa and security) that the
21 > community needs to decide. Does stuff that works but has terrible qa
22 > stay in the tree? Does security stuff stay in the tree, but masked?
23 > Should xmms be masked? We have no real way of "deprecating" a package,
24 > aside from leaving it in the tree with a masking reason saying
25 > "deprecated and unsupported." at which point not everything in the tree
26 > becomes supported.
27 >
28 > The Treecleaner project that I run is based on the assumption that
29 > broken stuff in the tree is bad, and I try to remove the really old stuf
30 > broken stuff first. However I aspire to eventually "catch up" and get
31 > to the currently broken packages. So which way will you have it? Or is
32 > this more of a pragmatic stance on the tree?
35 Broken stuff but still maintained upstream, mask it.
36
37 Broken stuff and unmaintained upstream , send it to the overlay
38 (probably with a note warning about it on the ebuild?).
39
40 I would opt for that.
41
42 So, about the xmms ebuild, i agree with sending it to the overlay.
47 Luis F. Araujo "araujo at gentoo.org"
48 Gentoo Linux
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list