From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Disturbing state of arch testing in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 08:35:24
1 > On 6 Nov 2022, at 08:15, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi, everyone.
4 >
5 > Arch testing's relying on automation a lot these days. Not saying
6 > that's bad, if it improves the state of affairs. However, I have some
7 > concerns, based on what I've seen lately.
8
9 Thanks for starting this discussion, I think others have felt this way too.
12 > On top of that, it seems that most of it still relies on proprietary
13 > software and we have no clue how *exactly* it works, and it's really,
14 > really hard to get a straight answer.
17 arthurzam, jsmolic, and I are using https://github.com/arthurzam/tattoo.
18
19 > So, my questions are:
20 >
21 > 1. Is "runtime testing required" field being respected? Obviously not
22 > every package can be (sufficiently) tested via FEATURES=test, so we've
23 > added that fields. However, if arch testers just ignore it and push
24 > things stable based on pure build testing...
25
26 Not right now. We discussed it on #gentoo-dev maybe 2 months ago
27 or so but concluded we needed nattka support to fix up our automation.
28
29 That had two parts:
30 1. https://github.com/projg2/nattka/issues/72 & https://github.com/projg2/nattka/pull/73 (done)
31 2. https://github.com/arthurzam/tattoo/issues/1 (not done)
34 > 2. How are kernels being tested? Given the speed with which new gentoo-
35 > sources stablereqs are handled, I really feel like "arch testing" there
36 > means "checking if sources install", and have little to do with working
37 > kernels.
40 I usually blacklist gentoo-sources because I can't actually test it, or
41 if I do stable it, I've tried to run them for real.
42
43 For gentoo-kernel, I run src_test.
44
45 > 3. How does the automation handle packages that aren't trivially
46 > installable? I recall that in the past stablereqs were stalled for
47 > months without a single comment because automation couldn't figure out
48 > how to proceed, and nobody bothered reporting a problem.
49
50 It doesn't, really. I think at the very least we need to try do world
51 upgrades after adding the package list to package.accept_keywords,
52 as stuff like LLVM and GNOME bugs won't work without it (blockers etc).
53
54 Best,
55 sam