From: Richard Brown <rbrown@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed addition to the Social Contract
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:40:46
1 On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 13:12:17 -0400
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > We have not implemented any policy at the instruction of anyone.
5 >
6 > We have not implemented any policy under the threat of removal of
7 > services.
8
9 I'm pleased to hear that. To be honest I assumed that was exactly what
10 had happened, as it would reasonably explain the council's panicked
11 response. Being a pragmatist it would seem that obeying a sponsor in
12 that situation would be the only option available to the council in the
13 short term.
14
15 > There was a lot of ambiguity, and it was done on purpose. Nearly
16 > every one of our sponsors have mentioned disapproval in the constant
17 > bad press Gentoo has been getting. Pretty much anything else they
18 > said was in confidence, but at no point did anyone claim that any
19 > policy should be made/updated/whatever or some action would/wouldn't
20 > be taken. Instead, the Council decided to take action *on our own*
21 > based on what we perceived to be a possible threat to our continued
22 > valued relationships with *all* of our sponsors.
23
24 I don't really want to dissect your email line by line, but I feel I
25 would struggle to think of anything a sponsor could say to the
26 council that they felt they couldn't say to the rest of us. I'm happy
27 however to be kept in my current state of ignorance, as it certainly
28 would not be appropriate for any council member to reveal information or
29 documents given to them, in confidence, to anyone else.
30
31 > Then you probably should have talked to me, huh? If something was
32 > spoken in confidence to the Council, it would mean all of us.
33 >
34 > Quite frankly, if you're going to try to use something that I said as
35 > some form of "proof" of something and it is ambiguous, you could at
36 > least have the courtesy to contact me.
37
38 Well, the last time I spoke to you was about your behaviour towards
39 jaervosz, and you said I "was reading too much into" what you had
40 written, that you didn't represent the council, posting on gentoo-dev
41 made you sick, that my responses to you were partly responsible for
42 fostering a "culture of mistrust and hostility within gentoo" and that
43 you were "wasting ... everyone's time trying to ... rectify [your]
44 shortcomings." And then you announced that you were not going to post on
45 that thread anymore. Do you think that made you approachable, by me,
46 on this matter?
47
48 > There's no conspiracy. Nobody told us to do anything, other than the
49 > PR person, whose advice was requested by us. Anything else is
50 > bullshit or conjecture.
51
52 While I still don't understand your reasoning in making an intentionally
53 ambiguous statement about the council's motives, I also don't really
54 care to understand. Assuming you are speaking on behalf of the
55 council in this instance, I'm happy to accept that your ongoing
56 implementation of the CoC is an honest mistake, and not one forced upon
57 you as the result of some ultimatum, as I inferred from your
58 conversation with tove.
59
60 Your reply has certainly allayed the specific fears I expressed in my
61 previous email, but it looks like you haven't convinced everyone yet:
62 http://tsunam.org/2007/03/26/destoying-things-again/.
63
64 Regards,
67 Richard Brown