From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dynamic SLOTs
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 08:56:31
1 On Saturday 31 July 2004 15:46, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Saturday 31 July 2004 12:09 am, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > I added support for USE-based SLOTs to
4 > > support the third and fourth.
5 >
6 > i know this is off topic of your e-mail, but could you go more into depth
7 > on this ?
8 > CHOST / CCHOST / cross compiling dynamic SLOTs interest embedded very much
9
10 Well, the idea was that to create local USE flags of the form cc-${ARCH}, have
11 the gcc ebuilds use them to configure the cross compiler and also have them
12 control the the slot. The only real difference to what there is now would be
13 that portage would be able to forecast the SLOT correctly.
14
15 A sideline issue to USE-based SLOTs is that it would be way to easy to end up
16 with spaces inside the USE-reduced SLOT string. Working support for spaces
17 within a single atom (for when SLOT-based deps come in), while not so
18 difficult, would slow everything down - as would figuring out whether every
19 non-SLOT satisfying ebuild can be configured to be satisfying actually.
20
21 <OT>
22 If you're asking about using portage itself to do the cross-compiling, well
23 we're still a ways from that I think. Isn't the main issue there that
24 packages link against / instead of ${ROOT}? I'd say portage can be changed to
25 support it fairly easily, but every ebuild will need to be changed to
26 configure/hack Makefiles/whatever to link against ${ROOT} instead.
27
28 To summarize the required portage features (as far as I can see):
29 * Define ROOT as "/" if it's not defined by the user
30 * Add support for an "alias" file to profiles
31
32 The "alias" file would simply hold aliases for commands. In this case,
33 somebody building for an embedded device would create the file and have it
34 specify which gcc they wanted and whatever else. ("alias" or something to
35 that effect, btw, will probably be needed for darwin/bsd to alias things such
36 as make to gmake.)
37 </OT>
38
39 Whichever your question was, I hope I answered it. :)
40
41 Regards,
42 Jason Stubbs
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list