From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introduce global dmalloc USE flag?
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 02:01:12
1 On 13 June 2013 13:35, Dennis Lan (dlan) <dennis.yxun@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > HI ALL:
4 > Is it ok to introduce USE=dmalloc global flag? description as following
5 > "dmalloc - Enable debugging with the dmalloc library"
6 >
7 > current consumers:
8 > 1) net-fs/autofs
9 > 2) net-misc/directvnc
10 > 3) sci-biology/yass
11 >
12 > also
13 > 4) app-admin/conserver
14 > 5) net-nds/ypbind
15 > 6) net-fs/samba
16 > 7) net-analyzer/scli
17 > 8) net-analyzer/traceproto
18 > 6) net-misc/siproxd
19 >
20 > use dmalloc but controlled under USE=debug
21 >
22 > Dennis Lan
25 Questions for clarity:
26
27 1. I haven't used dmalloc before, what does this use flag do for me?
28 2. How does this use flag change the built binaries? does it:
29 a) make no user visible changes, but adds code instrumentation paths
30 which can only be seen/understood with a special visualiser
31 b) add output to TTY for the built binary? etc.
32
33 I'm not arguing against global USE for it, I'm just asking for a USE
34 description that is more meaningful.
35
36 ie, alternatives might be: "Add runtime debug output via the dmalloc
37 library" or "Add runtime instrumentation for the dmalloc debugger", or
38 something like that.
39
40 Because if it were case a), then I might be inclined to turn it on
41 arbitrarily ( depending on how much it impacts performance ), just in case
42 I happen to need it one day. But if it were case b), I'd be inclined not
43 to turn it on arbitrarily, because I can see that would be irritating =)
47 Kent