From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] libpng 1.6 upgrade and subslotting (and misuse of subslotting when there is also normal slotting)
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 15:36:32
1 On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 16:27:33 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 11:13:36 -0400
5 > Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
6 > > I'm just not sure how the package managers like an in-place EAPI
7 > > change. If it works, great.
8 >
9 > If you don't revbump when going from an EAPI that doesn't have
10 > subslots to one that does, and then people start using subslot deps
11 > upon that package, it gets pretty icky. So I would highly encourage
12 > always revbumping at least when going to EAPI 5.
15 we are talking about the other way around I think: package with the
16 subslot is already eapi 5, package wanting the := dep is converted in
17 place
18
19 in that case, installed package will not have the := dep in vdb, thus
20 will not be rebuilt; when updating libpng, old school methods will still
21 work, and once that is done the := dep will do its job in the future.
22
23 I agree it'd be nice to have everything rebuilt automatically when
24 going from libpng 1.5 to 1.6 but I'm seeing it the other way: I don't
25 understand why I need to rebuild half of my system just to be able to
26 automatically rebuild it again later.
29 Alexis.