From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, pr@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 02:54:03
On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
> here is the udev 181 unmasking news item. > > If all goes well, this will be committed to the tree  on 3/14 UTC.
I guess this might be OK for unstable, but before this goes stable we really need to improve the docs around this. As far as I can tell neither the genkernel nor dracut docs have specific instructions about how to handle mounting /usr. Since having a separate /usr is often the result of having a more complex configuration (nfs, lvm, mdraid, etc), instructions explaining how things work and how to handle variations is pretty important. Perhaps genkernel automagically does the right thing in some cases, but I know that dracut does not unless you properly configure it. I doubt either tool will handle more complex situations without some scripting. I'm not really asking for automation here - just documentation and reasonable stability in how things work. Again, this is likely more of a concern before this is stabilized. However, knowing what I went through to get my bind-mounted /usr on LVM+mdraid working with dracut, I can imagine that any unstable users with tricky setups could face a fun weekend. Perhaps a suggestion for the news item. I'd recommend that anybody who needs an initramfs to mount /usr get that working BEFORE they upgrade udev. This situation is a heck of a lot easier to figure out if the system still can be booted when the initramfs doesn't work. Rich

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181 Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>