From: Aisha Tammy <gentoo.dev@×××××.cc>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Refactor display manager openrc init scripts to independent package
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 19:44:20
1 On 10/11/20 5:07 AM, Hans Fernhout wrote:
4 > On 10/10/20 2:26 PM, Aisha Tammy wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>>   - Configuration of display-manager is done similar to xdm by modifying
7 >>>>      /etc/conf.d/display-manager
8 >>>>   - Add display-manager to default runlevel and it should start working
9 >>> My counter-proposal at this point would be to handle DMs similarily to
10 >>> how it's done with systemd. In other words, every DM would provide their
11 >>> own init and conf files (or, "service" files) and they'd be controlled
12 >> This is quite hard as openrc manages tty handling differently than
13 >> systemd.
14 >> Currently display-managers work by adding an extra run level in openrc
15 >> (see https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/16554/files#diff-6d89a718d595e0c0516c6d6b96bd4cd5R21)
16 >>
17 >> It is not possible to do this independently for each of lightdm/gdm/sddm
18 >> separately, there would be too much redundant copying of code.
19 >>
20 > Would this not be resolved by switching to openrc-init instead of systemv init?
24 Gentoo is about choice and we can't (and don't want to) enforce the fact that
25 people should use openrc-init while we have a compatible solution to work with both.
26
27 Aisha