From: Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: the demise of grub:0
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 13:59:14
1 On 10/04/2016 06:24 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 >
3 > This would actually be another reason to get rid of grub-0, if it can't
4 > build on one of our profiles, it will more than likely never be fixed
5 > upstream because they are now focused on grub-2.x.
6
7 grub-0 is 32-bit software. You could build it without multilib but you need
8 the dependencies like any other package (and link them statically). And there
9 are other packages on the tree that don't build on all profiles.
10
11 >> Another alternative would be simply hard-masking it, but leaving it in
12 >> place for those who want it. It does still work, and I see no evidence
13 >> we're removing it due to security issues or breakage.
14 >
15 > We are removing it because upstream has a new version of the software
16 > and has moved on from this one. For most packages, if foo-1.0 is
17 > stable, then foo-2.0 comes to stable, after some point we remove foo-1.0
18 > from the tree.
19
20 Grub2 is not really a new version, it's a different product with different
21 use cases. I don't use grub-0 to boot any of my gentoo boxes but I use it for
22 some embedded x86 projects so it's convenient to be able build it off the
23 tree. I remember trying grub2 on one of them a while back and IIRC it more
24 than doubled the size of the image.
25
26 Just my 2 cents worth.
30 Fernando Rodriguez