From: gdjohn@×××××××××××××.uk
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] User authentication ideas
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:15:31
1 I've recently been busying myself setting up Kerberos/LDAP directory to
2 provide a NIS like authentication system for my small LAN (hopefully
3 allowing single sign on at some point in the near future).
4
5 What I have found is that it is currently quite a big job to get all of
6 this sorted on a Gentoo server, and even when it's all running, it doesn't
7 play nicely with portage (or rather, there are some ebuilds that don't
8 play nicely with NIS like systems).
9
10 The main problems I've found are that some ebuilds grep /etc/passwd to see
11 if a specific user exists on the system, and then go and add the
12 user/group with the useradd/groupadd commands. Obviously, this doesn't
13 work for users whose credentials are stored somewhere other than
14 /etc/passwd.
15
16 What I would like to propose is some sort of virtual package, maybe
17 virtual/auth. The standard /etc/{passwd,group,shadow} authentication
18 mechanism should be retained as the default (maybe call it auth-files or
19 auth-shadow). The key thing here though, is that each package that
20 provides virtual/auth must provide a user{add,del} and group{add,del}
21 command (maybe useradd.packagename, etc. with symlinks to /sbin/useradd).
22
23 I am quite prepared to put some effort in to putting together a
24 sys-auth/krb5-ldap ebuild, but there will need to be some coordination. It
25 would be nice to be able to offer some sort of tool to switch between
26 authentication mechanisms, a la RedHat authconfig.
27
28 Can anybody see any problems, advantages, disadvantages, glaring issues in
29 what I'm suggesting?
30
31 Cheers,
32