From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Global Systemd USE Flag
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2012 12:31:48
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > given that a number of gentoo devs support larger installations of
3 > gentoo and aren't likely to be wanting to switch servers, etc, to
4 > systemd just because it's there
5
6 I think that once they've learned systemd, they will want to switch
7 those servers fast.
8
9 I use it on one sort-of production server for about a year. Had I set
10 up any new servers since trying it out they would also have used it.
11
12 As I wrote before, I've not used init scripts on any system for over
13 10 years, including the maybe 50 servers that I've ran during that
14 time. Although systemctl is a stupid long command the benefits of
15 systemd make it an easy choice for me.
16
17 systemd isn't at all unstable in my experience, the only thing that
18 it is lacking is experience among administrators.
19
20 I agree that as long as there is anyone interested in maintaining and
21 supporting openrc, it will be available in Gentoo. The alternatives
22 and choice is what makes Gentoo great, and I think this fundamental
23 principle will never change, no matter what Red Hat or anyone else
24 wants to do.
25
26 systemd in itself is no big problem, Gentoo already solves much
27 bigger problems. Yes, we may have to rethink the service file policy,
28 perhaps integrate the init system with eselect, or have some other
29 tooling - who knows, so far I don't know if Gentoo has ever supported
30 replacing openrc. I think it's a good idea to not require re-emerging
31 every package just to get them, but there are other solutions.
32
33 Don't worry, it will all be fine.
34
35 As long as you and I run no systemd maybe it's OK if we still
36 download it's tarball in order to build and install the udev files.
37 If you feel very strongly not OK, after much experience with systemd
38 and udev, then by all means do fork udev. But I *seriously* don't see
39 the point. Please choose another project. :)
42 Kind regards
43
44 //Peter