From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Server hardaware give away (misc archs)
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2017 14:44:08
1 On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 7:32 AM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 10:26:10 -0400
4 > "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 18:03:21 +0800 (HKT)
7 >> Brendan Horan <brendan@×××××.hk> wrote:
8 >>
9 >> > Just an update for everyone :
10 >> > R0b0t1, has the Power 6+
11 >> > Johnson, has the Sparc T5120
12 >> >
13 >> > Still working out shipping/logistics
14 >>
15 >> If someone has access to say a company UPS or FedEx account. They may
16 >> have discounted rates based on volume. Maybe something to consider or
17 >> look into. Also may help with customs to ship to a work/business
18 >> address and/or coming from one business to another vs individuals.
21 > Another thought....
22 >
23 > Why not have Gentoo Foundation cover shipping costs?
24
25 Can't speak for the Trustees, but the process for this is at:
26 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Foundation:Funding_Request
27
28 (I wouldn't overthink it - just spell out what you want/need. I bet
29 you could make it shorter than some of the emails in this thread.)
30
31 In general I would just comment that if anything we get too few
32 requests for spending money and not too many. I don't think the
33 Foundation would be able to just go buying PCs for every dev on
34 request, but for one-offs like these they might chip in.
35
36 One thing that should be considered in these sorts of requests is who
37 owns the hardware and where it will be kept and what kind of access
38 other devs on the relevant teams would have. I think there ought to
39 be a difference between how we treat hardware that is owned by the
40 Foundation and always available to devs, vs something that somebody
41 intends to use for Gentoo work right now, but where ownership resides
42 with the individual and there is no obligation to give the hardware to
43 somebody else if they stop contributing. To the extent that the costs
44 are more nominal the Foundation should probably exercise more leeway.
45
46 That's all just my opinion though. If you want the Trustees to
47 consider it then just fill out the "form" and post it in a bug
48 assigned to them using the Foundation "product" in bugzilla. It never
49 hurts to ask...
52 Rich