From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] busybox[sep-usr] support for mounting /usr w/out hassle
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 15:45:32
1 On Tuesday 01 May 2012 11:06:42 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:59:02AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > the fact that the script leaves your system in a hard to recover state is
4 > > what i'm whining about, not that udev requires devtmpfs.
5 >
6 > So why did you decide to whine instead of opening a bug? :p
7
8 based on past behavior, i assumed it was operating as indented
9
10 > > we already have examples of the init scripts modifying /etc/issue to
11 > > notify login entry points that their system needs manual attention to
12 > > recover.
13 >
14 > This part can't happen in the udev init script since / is ro when it is
15 > run. Doing something in udev-postmount is also eroneous because that
16 > assumes that the user is booting to the default runlevel which they may
17 > not be.
18
19 in the past, we would `mount -o remount,rw /`, but that was because we needed
20 to add missing dirs in /.
21 -mike