From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, sparc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Modular X plans
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:28:41
1 On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 17:46 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Ferris McCormick wrote:
6 > | It always makes sense to enable glx (Mesa) whether there is DRI support
7 > | or not; some applications can run adequately well using the
8 > | Mesa-indirect approach, and some graphics cards --- e.g., Elite == afb
9 > | --- don't allow dri at all. That is what (for sparc, at least) USE=glx
10 > | should control.
11 >
12 > I don't see why mesa should have a glx USE flag, unless you're referring
13 > to a flag in xorg-server?
14
15 I was refering to the USE=glx flag for the xorg-server, not a new flag
16 for mesa.
17 >
18 > | So, ultimately, the mesa ebuild should work as you have it if it is
19 > | given USE="dri glx", but it should build sparc-specific modules.
20 > | However, it it gets USE="-dri glx", it should arrange to build libGL
21 > | stand-alone, because the user is saying in effect "I do want mesa/openGL
22 > | installed, but I am unable to support DRI", and mesa can be built that
23 > | way.
24 >
25 > I still don't understand why they wouldn't just build a glx-using libGL
26 > instead of an Xlib-using libGL. This would mean setting a blank DRI_DIRS
27 > and keeping DRIVER_DIRS = mesa.
30 I don't know yet.
31
32 > I can understand, however, that one might like to avoid building the DRI
33 > drivers with a USE=dri flag.
36 Right. On my afb (Elite) systems, the only reason I ever have for
37 building dri drivers is to see if they build; afb has never been dri
38 capable.
39
40 > In fact, you've actually convinced me that the glx USE flag as a whole
41 > is probably a bad idea and I should always force it on in xorg-server too.
42 >
43 > Thanks,
44 > Donnie
45
46 Regards,
47 --
48 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
49 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)