From: lnxg33k <lnxg33k@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting Important Updates To Users
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:19:41
1 Hello. First time posting; hope the message isn't ugly.
2
3 Anyway, from a generic point of view, I think the different suggestions
4 mentioned are all nice. One argument that seems to have cropped up in the latter
5 messages regards those users who do not keep up with news, break their system
6 and then cry. To this I say, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make
7 him drink". The purpose, imo, for the new methods of pushing out news info is
8 not to reach every single user. It's about pushing more info out and in more
9 meaningful ways; a two-fold problem.
10
11 Pushing out important info is, I'd sincerely hope, something everyone hear can
12 agree is a good thing. Pushing out more is debatable due to quality versus
13 quantity proportions, but given quality as being high and consistent, pushing
14 more news is a good idea.
15
16 This leaves how to propagate messages meaningfully. Yes, gentoo has many niche
17 groups that keep up with a small portion (in the overall sense) of news.
18 Creating (or beefing up an existing medium) a common, general place for
19 information is a good thing. But, this shouldn't mean it's a replacement. Just a
20 central location.
21
22 Basically, the aforementioned methods presented in the thread are interesting
23 and would be nice to have. You can't reach everyone, but the point should be in
24 reaching more in a more effective way.
25 --
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list