From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] FHS compliant KDE install and multi-version support
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 18:40:44
1 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
2 > Some members of the KDE team have been talking for some time about
3 > having a FHS compliant install (define KDE prefix as /usr instead of
4 > /usr/kde/<version>).
5
6 What are benefits of such a change? What happens when KDE release a
7 version breaking ABI (like "KDE 5")?
8
9 Right now [1], there's a conflict between some non-kdelibs kde3
10 libraries (kexiv2, kdcraw) from KDE3 and KDE4, mainly KDE4 applications
11 being linked with KDE3 libraries. I don't expect ABI breakage in 4.x,
12 but what happens after it?
13
14 Will I be able to use my desktop in the middle of an upgrade from 4.x to
15 4.(x+1), when only half of the packages are already updated?
16
17 > In case someone is thinking on suggesting it, ignoring FHS or not
18 > allowing the install of multiple versions are not valid solutions to
19 > this problem.
20
21 I might have missed something in your mail, but if you put, say, 4.1 and
22 4.2 libraries straight into /usr/lib, are you completely positive stuff
23 won't break?
24
25 [1] "Now" being the 3.5.9 release in Portage tree and 4.1.0 in an overlay
26
27 Cheers,
28 -jkt
31 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth