From: Neal McConachie <McConachieNeal@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC Package name additions
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 01:24:07
1 William L. Thomson Jr. said the following:
2 >
3 > Well that's the problem. When I use say _pre instead of _dev it gives
4 > off the wrong impression to users judging package by it's name. Since
5 > it's not a pre-release. A user may go upstream looking for some sort of
6 > pre-release. Which they won't find.
7 >
8 > The whole point is to make it clearer to the user the relation of the
9 > sources to upstream. Instead of making them fit into our naming schema,
10 > which do not apply to all.
11 <snip>
12 > The whole idea is better clarification to the end user via package name.
13 > Instead of package being tagged as _pre or etc, and sources being tagged
14 > with -dev and/or coming from a developers space. Not main project
15 > release page or etc.
16 >
17 Hi guys,
18
19 As one of the aforementioned users, I think the goal of helping us get a
20 better idea of the "reliability" a given package is excellent. I was
21 looking at the GLEP list the other day, and one of them that I liked in
22 particular was GLEP 46. (Allow upstream tags in metadata). I think it
23 could have some bearing on this goal. Although the GLEP doesn't list
24 "upstream-version" as one of its proposed metadata tags, I think it
25 could fit in nicely. I have no clue what the status of that GLEP is,
26 but maybe the authors would? Personally, I think it sounds like a good
27 flexible way of adding information to an ebuild without needing to redo
28 the naming scheme, or the upgrade path. Here, you could use one of the
29 existing ways of naming the package, but in the metadata give the
30 information a user would want to evaluate the package's reliability
31 (plus more!) :)
32
33 -nkm
34 --