From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Moving gnome2_icon_cache_update functionality to xdg-utils.eclass
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 00:17:43
1 Hello,
2
3 Before writing the obvious patches, would anyone terribly object to
4 moving gnome2_icon_cache_update into xdg-utils.eclass instead and
5 hooking it up via savelist guard in xdg.eclass (only running in
6 postinst/postrm when really needed)?
7
8 The gtk icon cache format isn't used by gtk+ only - it's used by Qt as
9 well these days; and either way if anything installs things per the
10 icon specs, the caches should be updated for gtk/qt to see it (even if
11 the program itself is written in motif or something).
12
13 Open dilemmas:
14
15 * To DEPEND on gtk-update-icon-cache, or to rely on the toolkits to
16 pull it in and only run the updates if the helper is present. We have
17 it split out from gtk+ codebase, so it only has glib/gdk-pixbuf deps
18 right now.
19
20 * If it's worth trying to avoid double calls in postint and postrm for
21 ebuilds that inherit xdg and call gnome2_icon_cache_update manually
22 right now on top (due to xdg.eclass not doing it for them).
25 If these changes are agreeable, then they could also be batched into a
26 single push with the documentation update patches pending from mgorny
27 for a single metadata cache invalidation of gnome2-utils.eclass using
28 ebuilds.
29
30 If this looks good, I can write patches soon, though there's always
31 other things to do too (like work on integrating a gnome-meson.eclass
32 or meson-desktop.eclass on top of this), so help with patches welcome
33 as well.
36 Mart