From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] svgalib
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 16:09:02
1 On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 02:42:16PM -0700, Pete Gavin wrote:
2
3 > > > I just added svgalib-1.4.2 to dev-libs. Looks like it compiles fine,
4 > > > but I dont have any programs to test it w/ just yet.
5 > > >
6 > >
7 > > svgalib was a missing link. :-)
8 > > I'm currently reworking media-libs over here. Don't you think that is
9 > > the place for svgalib?
10 >
11 > I don't really think so... svgalib doesn't handle any kind of media
12 > format or anything like that. It just lets you use the graphics modes
13 > allowed by your video card. There's a lot of stuff you can use svgalib
14 > for, not just games. I think maybe we could make a new category, like
15 > gfx-libs, for stuff like svgalib, ggi, mesa3d, etc.
16
17 Right now, the correct location for svgalib is in media-libs. "media" is our
18 generic term to classify things that are audio-video or "multimedia" related,
19 since there are so many things that have both audio and video components. You
20 don't need to handle a media format to be in media-libs.
23 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
24 President/CEO http://www.gentoo.org
25 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.