From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please do not stabilize packages for arches you cannot test for
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:29:59
1 On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:23:33 +0100 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > Feedback please. I advocate this approach for 'minor' packages, i.e.
4 | > nothing fundamental to the working of the system. It's more suitable
5 | > for scripting language libraries and minor applications (e.g.
6 | > obscure window managers).
7 |
8 | A more appropriate option would be to allow users to test packages
9 | that have not been marked as broken on their arg and then have a
10 | policy that if at least two users have reported a package as stable,
11 | and an arch dev can compile it it will be marked testing, and stable
12 | if it has no problems within a reasonable time period.
13
14 This is basically how we do things for sparc already. For non-core
15 packages with sane dependencies, if it is reported as working by a user
16 (bugzilla or over irc) and it compiles then we'll usually keyword it up
17 pretty quickly. This is how we handle a lot of the more obscure
18 packages. "It works" reports are always welcomed :)
21 Ciaran McCreesh
22 Mail: ciaranm at gentoo.org
23 Web: http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm