From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ssuominen@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new eclass: systemd-next.eclass
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 00:49:38
1 On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:41:59AM +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 > On 13 April 2013 22:30, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 11:27:24PM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > >> On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 14:43:14 -0500
5 > >> William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
6 > >>
7 > >> > this eclass is an alternative to systemd.eclass, and maintains
8 > >> > full compatibility with it; however, it expands it so that it can query
9 > >> > pkgconfig for the directory paths. It returns the same default paths as
10 > >> > systemd.eclass if there is an error with pkgconfig.
11 > >>
12 > >> Alternative? So now developers decide whether they want support systemd
13 > >> A or systemd B? And we fork packages so that users can have matching
14 > >> set of packages?
15 > >>
16 > >> If you listened, you would know that the only reason I didn't apply
17 > >> your patches to the eclass was that nothing used them. If you really
18 > >> want to commit your quasi-fork, I will update the eclass. You
19 > >> don't really have to play silly games like this.
20 > >
21 > > Ok, that is the better aproach anyway, go ahead and update the eclass.
22 > >
23 > > Thanks much. :-)
24 > >
25 > > William
28 > Am I the only one wondering why you didn't discuss this before you
29 > submit a new eclass for review?
30
31 I'm answering this on the list here for completeness only. I feel like a
32 question here calls for a response.
33
34 This started with this thread [1], where I proposed a patch to the
35 systemd eclass. That patch was rejected as you can see with no real
36 explanation from mgorny. This lead to private discussions with him which
37 did not go well. I have all of those emails still, so I will go back and
38 see if I can find where he gave me the explanation he is claiming here,
39 but I honestly do not remember any such explanation coming from him
40 until now.
41
42 My original patch has been accepted now, so that should take care of that
43 part of the situation.
44
45 Mgorny, thanks for working with me. :-)
46
47 William
48
49 [1] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/dev/269385?page=last