From: William McArthur <sandymac@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] System stability - update.mask
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:06:11
1 The following is some thoughts on how to provide the stability that I
2 think most users really want while keeping the bleeding edge ones happy.
3 This was promped by the IRC discussion I posted to the list earlier today.
4
5 The problem with a stability metric on each pacakge as described in the
6 channel is it doesn't describe the stability of the interaction of the
7 packages between each other. It would not have solved the libpng
8 problems many users had. Becuase I'm sure libpng-1.2.* is a solid
9 package and each other package that linked against libpng-1.0.* would
10 have had a reasonable stability metric from it's use before
11 libpng-1.2.* was released.
12
13 What I think would work well is a checkpoint system where every other
14 month or so we have a package freeze for about a week or less. Then what
15 I call a update.mask is generated based on the newest versions of all
16 working packages out there. I originally thought of checkpoints as
17 milestones like the mozilla guys use but a milestone is a goal, this is
18 more like a saved state in a game.
19
20 This update.mask is a lot like the package.mask in format but instead of
21 disabling packages it defines a leading edge of packages that are not
22 `emerge --update world` past. Kinda like drawing a line in the sand and
23 saying all packages on one side of the line are reasonably tested to
24 work well together. If the user wants to he can explictly emerge a
25 package that is on the other side of that line but it would require him
26 to type the version he wants.
27
28 Also, I think this would obsolete the "world favorites" list that is
29 maintained for a system. As I understand this feature it is to prevent
30 the endless recompiling of point release of dependicies.
31
32 I envision an option added to emerge that is like the `java-config
33 --list-available-vms` but it would be `emerge
34 --list-available-checkpoints`. The user can then select the desired
35 checkpoint with something like `emerge --set-checkpoint gentoo-YYYY-MM`
36 which then updated a symlink or something to the selected update.mask
37 file. Also it would be nice to have a bleeding edge update.mask that
38 doens't draw any leading edge.
39
40 One thing I haven't figured out is how to deal with new packages added
41 after the update.mask. The update.mask wouldn't know about the new
42 package and I think updating old check points should be advoided.
43 Suggestions welcome.
44
45 Feed back welcomed.
46