From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Asking for permission to update packages from LINGUAS to L10N
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 09:59:47
1 >>>>> On Wed, 10 Aug 2016, NP-Hardass wrote:
2
3 > I was going through my packages to make sure that I was compliant with
4 > this change, and found that I was not. The l10n eclass makes use of the
5 > LINGUAS USE_EXPAND and isn't covered in the tracker bug. I attempted to
6 > read through the old thread to see if someone mentioned that eclass, but
7 > I must have missed it if someone mentioned it. Are we EOL'ing that
8 > eclass, or keeping it (update or revbump)?
9
10 > Looks to me like we can't edit that eclass in place, so if we are to
11 > keep it, we should probably revbump it, update the -r1 to L10N, and add
12 > a deprecation warning to the old eclass to help maintainers migrate over.
13
14 > Any opinions? I'd be happy work on the revbump for the eclass if we
15 > decide to go that route. CC'ing yngwin since it is his eclass.
16
17 I briefly looked at packages inheriting l10n.eclass and it seems that
18 a large fraction (or even most?) of them inherit it only for the
19 following snippet of global scope code but don't use any of its
20 functions:
21
22 # Add linguas useflags
23 for u in ${PLOCALES}; do
24 IUSE+=" linguas_${u}"
25 done
26
27 Note that this won't be needed any more once we remove LINGUAS from
28 USE_EXPAND.
29
30 Apart from that, the general rule for conversion should be that
31 packages whose upstream build system uses LINGUAS should stay with
32 LINGUAS (which in the ideal case should be transparently passed to the
33 build system). On the other hand, any downstream conditionals, e.g. in
34 *DEPEND or SRC_URI, should be migrated to L10N.
35
36 Ulrich