From: Thomas Anderson <gentoofan23@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Collecting opinions about GLEP 55 and alternatives
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 19:03:56
1 On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:21:23AM +0200, Petteri R??ty wrote:
2 > 1) Status quo
3 > - does not allow changing inherit
4 > - bash version in global scope
5 > - global scope in general is quite locked down
6
7 Yuck, I want per-package eclasses and all those other goodies.
8
9 > 2) EAPI in file extension
10 > - Allows changing global scope and the internal format of the ebuild
11 > a) .ebuild-<eapi>
12 > - ignored by current Portage
13 > b) .<eapi>.ebuild
14 > - current Portage does not work with this
15 > c) .<eapi>.<new extension>
16 > - ignored by current Portage
17
18 2a please, though .ebuild.eapi would be fine as well. My reasons are
19 mostly contained in Antarus' glep revision, and the fact that there have
20 been no real valid(IMO) objections.
21
22 > 3) EAPI in locked down place in the ebuild
23 > - Allows changing global scope
24 > - EAPI can't be changed in an existing ebuild so the PM can trust
25 > the value in the cache
26 > - Does not allow changing versioning rules unless version becomes a
27 > normal metadata variable
28 > * Needs more accesses to cache as now you don't have to load older
29 > versions if the latest is not masked
30 > a) <new extension>
31 > b) new subdirectory like ebuilds/
32 > - we could drop extension all together so don't have to argue about
33 > it any more
34 > - more directory reads to get the list of ebuilds in a repository
35 > c) .ebuild in current directory
36 > - needs one year wait
37
38 These are all ugly.(c is the worst).
39
40 Oh, And I certainly hope this is not Democracy(you know what they say,
41 democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding who to have for dinner)
42
43 Looking forward to the council meeting, where there will *hopefully* be
44 a decision.
45
46 Thomas
47 --
49 Thomas Anderson
50 Gentoo Developer
52 Areas of responsibility:
53 AMD64, Secretary to the Gentoo Council