From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: ulm@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dependencies default to accept any slot value acceptable (:*), can we default to :0 instead?
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 20:23:40
1 On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 21:01:00 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Sun, 8 Dec 2013, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >
6 > > Sure it does - it defaults to :* when :* was never specified. I
7 > > don't see how defaulting to :0= is a "policy" any more than :* is.
8 >
9 > Defaulting to :* is just the long term behaviour from EAPIs 0 to 4
10 > when no slot operator was specified.
11
12 Which section in the PMS is this specified?
13
14 > This is consistent with what we haved for versioned dependencies.
15 > When you don't specify a version, then all versions are good.
16
17 Good idea.
18
19 > Similarly, when you don't specify a slot, then all slots are good.
20
21 Not so good idea; because if all slot would be good by default, then
22 why have slots in the first place? Are we using SLOT right at all?
23
24 > Our rules of slot/subslot dependencies and slot operators are just
25 > complicated enough, so I really would dislike complicating them even
26 > more by having an EAPI dependent default.
27
28 Is it complicated?
29
30 1. Dev changes to EAPI 6 on a revision or version bump.
31 2. Dev tests the ebuild.
32 2.a. It works; the ebuild defaults to depend on :0=.
33 2.b. It breaks, dev checks dependency; the ebuild now depends on :2=.
34 3. Dev commits.
35
36 The developer needs to be aware of new PMS versions; thus, given that
37 news is brought out about this the developer is aware of the change.
38
39 > In addition, from a package
40 > manager view there is nothing special at all about slot 0, so there's
41 > no reason to prefer it over other values.
42
43 In reality, we use it in a special way; it's time to make the resources
44 that we use reflect that and stop relying on unspecified behavior.
45
46 (Or change reality to match our resources; though, doing thousand of
47 commits compared to changing our resources might not be the way to go.)
50 With kind regards,
51
52 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
53 Gentoo Developer
54
55 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
56 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
57 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D