From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: News item: Apache "-D PHP5" needs update to "-D PHP"
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2016 14:46:01
1 Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > Maybe I'm thinking things too difficult, why not just define both -D
3 > PHP and -D PHP5 in the transition period and suggest this config for
4 > any change?
5
6 Because it mostly just defers the problem.
7
8 If the desire is to move away from PHP5 then I would suggest to force
9 a failure when starting Apache, if PHP5 is defined when PHP is required.
10
11 Ie. fail closed.
12
13 I can be talked into supporting the idea to only print a warning when
14 PHP5 is set and to not fail (no source served) for some period of
15 time until which the forced failure starts, if PHP5 is still set.
16
17 Don't fail open, fail closed. Since manual interaction is required
18 some people will forget or overlook it, and will get a failure.
19
20 I would introduce the failure right away, but maybe a warning will
21 make some happy who would otherwise have gotten a failure.
24 //Peter