From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: OT - My introduction
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:56:30
1 Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com> posted
2 1167505335.16795.39.camel@××××××××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on
3 Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:02:15 -0600:
4
5 > Now I do just about anything to avoid boredom. I'd like to help out; I
6 > love working with code. I'm not sure how qualified I am to work on
7 > large projects; I know the basics of C/C++ and Java, and I've worked a
8 > little bit with perl and python. What would you suggest I use to
9 > further educate myself to be of more use to the community?
10
11 There are all sorts of projects out there. I'll briefly discuss both the
12 Gentoo approach and something a bit more general.
13
14 First the general. One of the best ways to find a small project to get
15 involved with is to pick a distribution (of course, we're partial to
16 Gentoo here, but it can be any of them), install it, and find a particular
17 package you are interested in that seems to be pretty small. Most
18 distributions list the package home page for all their packages, so after
19 picking a few, have a look around their home pages and find a project that
20 fits your skills and interests, sign up for their mailing lists, lurk a
21 bit to get a feel for things or ask around, and go from there.
22
23 If you are already interested in Gentoo as a distribution and would like
24 to do more, the general suggestion is to start with the handbook and
25 ebuild (5) manpage, and then as you work with Gentoo, find and file bugs,
26 supplying patches with them if you can. As you advance, there's the
27 developer's manual and the project pages for each project. You'll
28 likely find some more interesting and matching your resources than
29 others. If you want more to do, there's a whole bugzilla's load of bugs
30 out there you can look at and see about patching as well. Notably, the
31 first Saturday of every month is Bug Day, with a lot of folks both devs
32 and users pitch in and try to fix as many bugs as possible. There's a
33 preselected bug list, generally sorted on difficulty skillset needed, to
34 make it easy. The question of how one becomes a Gentoo dev is usually
35 answered: "By making yourself so helpful fixing bugs and the like that
36 existing devs can't miss you, and decide you'd be an asset to their
37 project."
38
39 As wit other projects in the free and open source software community, many
40 Gentoo projects have their own mailing list and/or IRC channel as well,
41 and as you find what interests you, you can subscribe as desired.
42
43 Even if you don't feel like you're up to C/C++, there are all sorts of
44 needs both with Gentoo and with individual projects in general. Nearly
45 all projects can use help with documentation and localization (language
46 translation), and on their user mailing lists and/or forums. Gentoo is
47 certainly no exception. If users can answer questions, that leaves the
48 devs more time to code! =8^)
49
50 All of these are free, learn as you go, for the most part. All the
51 software you need and most of the documentation is free for the download!
52 All you need is a computer to work with and an Internet connection... and
53 the time and will to learn and to help others. =8^)
58 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
61 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list