From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: Kevin <gentoo-dev@××××××.biz>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Major MCE problem with SMP on Gentoo kernels
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:35:18
1 Hi,
2
3 Kevin wrote:
4 > Although I'm sure there are others here with more experience
5 > troubleshooting such problems, I'm thinking that the above is enough to
6 > base a pretty sound conclusion upon, and the conclusion I would draw is
7 > that hardware and memory are not the cause of these MCE problems. I
8 > welcome anyone contradicting that conclusion because I've never seen
9 > anything like this before and I'm at a loss on how to resolve it. I'm
10 > tempted to try replacing one of the CPUs to see if identical stepping
11 > levels (my CPU0 is stepping level 7 and CPU1 is level 9, but they are
12 > otherwise identical) will resolve the problem.
13
14 I have seen similar behaviour in previous experience (with uniprocessor
15 boards), i.e. all memory sticks (even confirmed good ones) bring up errors in
16 the same place when plugged into the board in question.
17
18 I've never attempted to look in detail for the cause of the problem, you'd
19 suspect a faulty memory controller of some sort. In my experience, I've just
20 replaced the board, and that has solved the problem.
21
22 Daniel
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list