From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: Dan Podeanu <pdan@×××××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] some portage related issues
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:14:25
1 There has already been som effort in this area. I think the conclusion
2 was that the syntax of /proc/cpuinfo was much to inconsistent to be
3 usable.
4
5 A patch to change the syntax of cpuinfo is probably the right solution.
6 Just pull the supported archs from the compiler compiling the kernel and
7 put a suitable arch in cpuinfo.
8 Hint: gcc-3.2/gcc/config/i386/i386.c
9
10 -John
11
12 > > > 4. It would be really nice if we had a tool to automate the detection of
13 > > > the build architecture (CHOST, -march & -mcpu) based on the info from
14 > > > /proc/cpu to help the newbie with the installation procedure.
15 > >
16 > > considering the *large* number of /proc/cpuinfo and the fact that one set
17 > does
18 > > not map properly onto the other set, this is impossible to a degree
19 > > (-march/-mcpu)
20 > >
21 > > in terms of CHOST, simply picking the right stage tarball would be enough
22 > ...
23 > > most people shouldnt have to change it
24 >
25 > Atleast for x86 there's a fairly small number of /proc/cpuinfo layouts. I
26 > cannot speak for other architectures though. And its all in the kernel
27 > sources, imho its fairly simple to write an automated detection system.
28 >
29 > CHOST will probably be changed by all those using stage1.