From: William Hubbs <kc5eiv@×××××××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reason for dhcpcd in system profile ?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:27:02
1 Hi all,
2
3 My only issue with dhcpcd in system is this:
4
5 My isp is also comcast cable which uses dhcp. I also use dhcp for my home network, so my linux box is functioning as a dhcp client (for comcast) and dhcp server (for my home network).
6
7 To get the dhcp server, you have to install the isc dhcp package. This also includes a dhcp client (dhclient).
8
9 In other words, I have 2 dhcp clients on my system, which is not necessary.
10
11 I would vote for a virtual/dhcp-client package which could be provided by the dhcpcd package and also by the isc dhcp package to prevent this.
12
13 I'm not sure how much work this would require though to be sure that the net.* scripts in baselayout supported all of the dhcp clients gentoo supports. What do you think?
16 William
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list