From: "Nathan L. Adams" <nadams@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:03:25
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Tom Martin wrote:
5 > I'm not sure I like this. I think it would be too slow. I'd rather have
6 > a concept of maintainer arch (the reason I still like the old keyword
7 > ordering, because there was at least *some* idea of maintainer arch. In
8 > fact, I used to fiddle the keywords every now and again when I took over
9 > a package and the maintainer arch changed). Policy, for a long time, has
10 > been that no arch team should go stable ahead of a package maintainer
11 > without his approval. This works fine. Now, some packages are going into
12 > Portage without the x86 keyword (for example, viewglob, which I recently
13 > committed. I don't have an x86 machine) and a non-x86 maintainer. All
14 > that we need is an x86 arch team to do the same jobs as other
15 > architectures:
16 >
17 > a) Test packages that aren't yet keyworded.
18 > b) Keep keywords up-to-date -- imlate. Although imlate currently
19 > compares against x86 by default, scanning x86 against a few other archs
20 > isn't a major bottleneck.
21 > c) Keep up with security bugs, with a proper security contact. Tester, I
22 > believe you're filling this role at the moment?
23 > d) Possibly arch testers.
24 >
25 > Maybe I'm seeing this all wrong, but the fact is, the number of packages
26 > that need x86 arch team lovin' are pretty small, despite the number of
27 > overall keyworded packages being large. I don't think the x86 arch team
28 > needs to be very large: I think ten developers is plenty. I just don't
29 > know what they'd be doing if there were more.
30 >
31 > Thoughts?
34 I took Kevin's 2) to mean that the arch team *developers* wouldn't do
35 the actual testing; the arch team testers (a sub-group of the arch team)
36 would do the testing. Is that correct?
37
38 b) You could have imlate compare against the new -maint ~maint maint
39 keywords (or whatever gets settled on).
40
41 Having the 'maint' keyword would help with the 'no arch team should go
42 stable ahead of a package maintainer without his approval' policy.
43
44 I would structure it like this:
45
46 i. Package maintainers control the 'maint' keyword.
47
48 ii. Arch teams control their respective 'arch' keywords, but do not go
49 stable before 'maint'.
50
51 iii. Package maintainers could optionally keyword their packages as
52 ~arch for their 'native platform'.
53
54 That should keep the responsibilities clear and things moving, correct?
55 Rule iii would also give you the same functionality as the maintainer
56 arch without having the cludge keyword ordering.
57
58 Nathan
59
67 --