From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: future.eclass
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 21:53:26
1 On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > # This eclass contains backports of functions that were accepted
4 > # by the Council for the EAPI following the EAPI used by ebuild,
5 > # and can be implemented in pure shell script.
6
7 I'm not sure that I like this sort of a moving-target definition.
8 When EAPI6 is out, do you intend to have the eclass die at some point
9 for any packages using EAPI5? Or will they work indefinitely, and
10 then the eclass will behave differently depending on what EAPI is used
11 by the ebuild calling it? I can see issues either way (either we're
12 building a monster eclass that basically replicates half of PMS, or we
13 start running into migration issues and maybe even breakage of old
14 systems that aren't updated/etc).
15
16 If this were about testing EAPI features prior to implementation in a
17 limited and short-term scenario I could maybe see this being a
18 net-positive, but even then we have issues with the eclass changing
19 when users still have packages using it installed.
20
21 I get what you're trying to do, but I'm a little worried that it might
22 cause as many problems as it solves.
23
24 ---
25 Rich