From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: About net-p2p herd status
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 14:43:10
1 On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 09:57:05 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > > 1. Get more people to join these herds (devs, future recruits, ...)
5 > > and set up project, leads and proper organization. *snip*
6 >
7 > Sure, non-controversial IF there is interest.
8
9 Yeah, I know of an user that has interest; but it'll take at least two
10 months (possibly more) before he can go through recruiting. There may
11 possibly be more users out there. Interest may not be the problem here.
12
13 > > 2. Combine multiple herds in one bigger "network" herd. *snip*
14 >
15 > I REALLY don't think this is a good idea. You might as just have one
16 > big herd and call it "maintainer-wanted" or even "gentoo."
17 >
18 > ...
19 >
20 > When you lump a bunch of stuff into a big amorphous blob and put 47
21 > people in charge of it, then nobody really cares about anything. It
22 > just results in 47 people with bugzilla in their killfile.
23 >
24 > ...
25 >
26 > I suspect that the only reason some devs are listed in herds that
27 > appear inactive is that at some point in time they were the sole
28 > maintainer of a single package they actually cared about, and somebody
29 > decided to put that package in a herd, and then the dev got added to
30 > the alias so that they were still "allowed" to maintain it (or some
31 > variation on that theme). The dev really could care less about the
32 > other 47 packages in the herd.
33 >
34 > ...
35 >
36 > Things won't get any better by listing an email address that nobody
37 > follows in the metadata (an email that 50 people get and all ignore
38 > is no better).
39
40 This is an exaggeration, the herd should be kept at a reasonable amount;
41 we're talking about 19 people here, if you drop those that are just
42 there for a single package or two you may even drop this to ~10 devs.
43
44 > Individual devs work because there is somebody who is accountable for
45 > keeping at least a reasonable level of quality, and their pride is
46 > likely to spur them on to take care of the package.
47 >
48 > Active herds work because there is a team with a leader who
49 > collectively don't want to look bad when things aren't working. The
50 > herd could have a large or small project team looking after it - it
51 > just matters that they care.
52
53 I don't see why it's impossible for ~10 devs to organize themselves in
54 a way they care about the packages; the lack of communication also plays
55 a role in bugs that are left open, bringing small herds together deals
56 with this as 10 devs are more likely to communicate than 2 devs.
57
58 Not that I'm rooting for this, but it's an interesting alternative.
59
60 > > 3. The one you suggest. *snip*
61 >
62 > If no herd forms, the list of affected packages should be
63 > announced, and if nobody adds themselves to the metadata within n
64 > days they go to maintainer-needed.
65
66 Yes, I know and understand the approach taken. My wonder was rather what
67 the outcome of this approach would be, but for that I'd need actual
68 statistics and graphs on how this has happened in the past; basically
69 the answer to the question: For a given set of packages released to
70 maintainer-needed, how much other devs pick them up, how many package
71 end up in proxy-maintainers, how much remain unmaintained, how much end
72 up treecleaned, ...
73
74 It's statistics like these that may help make a more educated choice,
75 or at least be aware of future problems to deal with as a result of that
76 choice. We're talking about a few hundred packages, that's a huge list.
77
78 > As I've stated before maintainer-needed packages should only be
79 > treecleaned if they are, in fact, broken (a few debatable cases have
80 > come up, but for the most part this is what happens). A few bugs that
81 > don't impact most users in a serious way should not be grounds for
82 > removal. However, if the package has a blocker or serious quality
83 > issue then it should be removed.
84
85 Ah, while the front page of the TreeCleaner Project seems to indicate
86 it also happens to unmaintained packages, this is hidden away at the
87 bottom of the policy. I agree.
88
89 > As far as improving manpower and such - I think everybody is
90 > supportive of this. However, it is important that Gentoo not be held
91 > back by not wanting to break packages that aren't maintained -
92 > otherwise it will become irrelevant. Proxy maintenance is better
93 > supported now than it ever has been in the past, so if people want to
94 > step up without having to become devs they should do so.
95
96 http://euscan.iksaif.net/herds/proxy-maintainers/
97 http://euscan.iksaif.net/maintainers/maintainer-needed@g.o/
98
99 Looking at the packages graphs on euscan at the bottom, it seems that
100 there are about four times more packages unmaintained compared to
101 those that are proxy maintained. While it is properly supported, I guess
102 it needs some more attention in one or another way...
105 With kind regards,
106
107 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
108 Gentoo Developer
109
110 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
111 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
112 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D