From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: How a proper server profile should look like
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:12:12
1 On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 3:03 AM, Alexander Berntsen
2 <alexander@××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 > While I tend towards the cleaner design, not the "don't fix what isn't
5 > *broken*" approach -- I'm fine either way. But I think the handbook or
6 > some tool should obnoxiously spit the flags (and a minor
7 > "justification" for each flag and/or the set of flags) of each profile
8 > in your face when you are at the "set a profile" step of the
9 > installation. This way it can clarify that the user might want to
10 > disable some of the profile-enabled flags.
11
12 Not really sure that adds much value. A few users might want to
13 disable everything, but just as many if not more are likely to want to
14 enable stuff that is disabled. Should we therefore list all the flags
15 on the system and which ones are enabled and disabled?
16
17 I guess we could, but it is a REALLY long list.
18
19 In practice I find that the way I tend to use USE flags is that I just
20 ignore them until something unexpected happens, and then change them.
21
22 Rich