From: Dan Douglas <ormaaj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] lastpipe
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 00:12:50
On Friday, May 25, 2012 11:33:43 PM Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2012 15:02:32 -0500 > Dan Douglas <ormaaj@×××××.com> wrote: > > If it were made a policy now that ebuilds and eclasses cannot depend > > upon the subshell (for example, to set temporary positional > > parameters or isolate temporary variables), then maybe someday in the > > distant future this could be made the default, and in the meantime, > > an option for those with new enough shells. Since dependence on the > > subshell isn't very common, I think this should be feasible, and of > > course as a workaround all that's required is to wrap any such > > commands in parentheses. > > We'll be able to turn that on in a controlled way in EAPI 6.
Ah didn't know that. That's a solution for ebuilds anyway. How about for eclasses and user bashrc files? Does whatever EAPI setting is in effect for a particular ebuild apply to them? It isn't really worth toggling it on and off for individual files or functions in order to not break certain eclasses that conflict.
> Having > said that, if we're reaching the point where speed of bash code is > at all relevant, then ebuilds are doing something wrong... >
That point was reached when someone decided a custom Bash parser just for ebuilds was necessary. :) -- Dan Douglas