From: wireless@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Go ebuilds bundling multiple upstream sources
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 23:22:22
1 On 06/29/2015 05:50 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 06/29/2015 02:27 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> All,
4 >>
5 >> we have several Go ebuilds in the tree that bundle multiple separate
6 >> upstream sources. One example is app-admin/consul-0.5.2.
7 >>
8 >> My thought is that we shouldn't bundle like this, but we should figure
9 >> out how to write ebuilds for the dependent packages as well.
10 >>
11 >> What do others think?
12 >
13 > Maybe we should take into account the number of consumers of said
14 > libraries? If there's only one consumer of a given library, then what's
15 > the advantage of splitting out a separate ebuild? Also, in our
16 > discussion, it may be useful to distinguish between bundling via "one
17 > big tarball" versus bundling via multiple tarballs in SRC_URI.
18
19 You have much to consider. Consul, like zookeeper (ultrabug overlay) is
20 very useful for building clusters on (gentoo) linux. It would be very
21 cool to split consul into a separate build. That way one can experiment
22 with combining a wide variety of sys-cluster builds with other packages.
25 Regardless of which way you go, it would be great to have some detail
26 documents about the various (software) components if you stay with one
27 large build.
30 hth,
31 James