From: Aisha Tammy <gentoo.dev@×××××.cc>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Refactor display manager openrc init scripts to independent package
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2020 12:26:18
1 On 10/10/20 8:00 AM, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 >
3 > On 10/10/20 1:57 PM, Aisha Tammy wrote:
4 >> Hi all,
5 >>   This change is for OpenRC init scripts only.
6 >>   Currently the way our display managers are started, is by using the
7 >> xdm init script present in the xorg-base/xorg-server package, with its
8 >> script
9 >> dependencies spread across four other packages, without any logical
10 >> separation.
11 >> This makes it so that every display manager needs the whole xorg-server
12 >> package even if just for the init scripts.
13 >> There are bugs open about this for a while to refactor the scripts out
14 >> from
15 >> xorg-server and into their own independent package, to make them easier
16 >> to manage and modify
17 >> - https://bugs.gentoo.org/730644
18 >> - https://bugs.gentoo.org/356915
19 >> The change is not just for the sake of closing bugs either.
20 >> Given the recent number of huge additions in wayland, it is now possible
21 >> to have a Xorg-free setup starting from the display manager.
22 >> There are wayland-only display-managers available in gentoo
23 >> - gui-apps/gtkgreet
24 >> - gui-apps/tuigreet
25 >>
26 >> It should now be possible to start these display managers using openrc
27 >> without pulling in Xorg.
28 >>
29 >> The changes are currently being worked on in the PR at
30 >> https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/16554
31 >
32 > +1 to separating xdm from xorg-server.
36 >> Changes
37 >>  - xdm init.d is replaced by display-manager init.d script
38 >
39 > Why this rename? I can't find a reason for that.
40 >
41 The name change was to make it clear that its separate from xorg-server
42 as it no longer has any ties to xdm.
43 display-manager can be run without having xdm on your system.
46 >>  - Configuration of display-manager is done similar to xdm by modifying
47 >>     /etc/conf.d/display-manager
48 >>  - Add display-manager to default runlevel and it should start working
49 >
50 > My counter-proposal at this point would be to handle DMs similarily to
51 > how it's done with systemd. In other words, every DM would provide their
52 > own init and conf files (or, "service" files) and they'd be controlled
53
54 This is quite hard as openrc manages tty handling differently than
55 systemd.
56 Currently display-managers work by adding an extra run level in openrc
57 (see https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/16554/files#diff-6d89a718d595e0c0516c6d6b96bd4cd5R21)
58
59 It is not possible to do this independently for each of lightdm/gdm/sddm
60 separately, there would be too much redundant copying of code.
61
62 > like that. I really see no point in renaming xdm to display-manager. xdm
63 > to gdm, xdm to lightdm etc causes at least the same amount of confusion
64 > and hassle, but would at least match the other init system. Then
65 > swapping between openrc and systemd would be one step less difficult.
66 >
67 > I have both openrc and systemd systems installed, and find the systemd
68 > way a lot cleaner in this regard. What would other people think?
69 >
70 > -- juippis
74 >> Other changes, less relevant to everyday users
75 >>  - boot parameter nox has been replaced by nogui
76 >>  - usage of /etc/.nox has been removed in favor of /run/.nogui as the
77 >> boot
78 >>     parameter is a better controller
79 >>
80 >> Cheers,
81 >> Aisha