From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Running repoman on the portage tree
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2014 00:11:13
1 Piotr Szymaniak posted on Fri, 21 Nov 2014 23:06:30 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 08:07:36PM +0800, Patrick Lauer wrote:
4 >> http://packages.gentooexperimental.org/repoman-checks/
5 >>
6 >> updated per cron job, split by category. Much easier to handle :)
7 >>
8 >> Feel free to work on fixing things - there's enough issues that you
9 >> won't run out of work this decade.
10 >
11 > So, lets assume that a lot of users get their hands on fixing things
12 > ("lets make Gentoo a better distro!"). What's the work path here? Fix,
13 > diff, new bug "I fixed this and that!"? git portage... pull request?
14 >
15 > Just asking, but I know that fixing things that will stay forever on
16 > Bugzilla is killing motivation.
17
18 For portage (and portage-related) apps in particular, there's the portage-
19 devel list, gentoo-portage-dev.
20
21 Portage development has changed recently and is /much/ better in terms of
22 bus-factor now, and that was reflected on the list, so I'd recommend that
23 particularly people with an on-going interest subscribe there and skim a
24 couple months back in the history to get a decent overview of how things
25 work now in terms of patch submission norms, coding style, etc.
26
27 See gentoo-portage-dev as covered on the main gentoo mailing lists page
28 here:
29
30 http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml
31
32 Meanwhile, also see the portage-project page, which covers much of the
33 patch rules, etc and has links to both the IRC channel and mailing list,
34 portage git repos and issues like running multiple portage versions on
35 the same system, etc, here:
36
37 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Portage
42 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman