From: Collins Richey <erichey2@××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sound for esssolo1
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 14:45:30
1 On Sat, 07 Jul 2001 21:16:31 +0200 AGottinger@××××××××.de (Achim Gottinger) wrote:
2
3 > Collins Richey wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I'm confused. On every other distro that I've used (Mandrake, Caldera, Vectorlinux - all all 2.4.x kernels), all I have to do to get sound for xfce, etc., is to compile the esssolo1 kernel module and do a modprobe (or equivalent at boot time) for esssolo1. The esssolo1 and soundcore modules get loaded, and the sound card works.
6 > >
7 > > Why won't this work on Gentoo? I'm using the identical kernel compile that works on every other distro. The modules get loaded, but sound is dead.
8 > >
9 > I think you need the play binary coming with sox for xfce.
10 > If not try to fine the sound player binarie used by xfce and run it on
11 > the console.
14 OK, I emerged sox, and now play xxx.wav works (via /dev/dsp), but xfce is still silent. Any clues. This works everywehre else (other distros), so I'm stumped.
17 Collins Richey
18 Denver Area
19 Gentoo_rc5 XFCE