From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] net-dns/dnssec-root: Blind stable on arm, critical bug 667774
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 12:51:12
1 On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 1:14 PM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > But that's not the point here. The point was to get some attention that
4 > again we have a lacking architecture (net-dns/dnssec-root is not the
5 > only package where ARM arch team is lacking behind) which affects anyone
6 > "trusting" somehow in STABLE keywords.
7
8 ARM is not a Gentoo security supported arch.
9
10 If the ARM maintainers feel that stable keywords make the lives of
11 their users better, and it isn't causing problems for anybody else,
12 I'm not sure why we should be interfering with this.
15 > If everyone is using ~ARCH and don't care about STABLE keywords, well,
16 > we could save a bunch of time, energy...
19 Is this costing YOU any time/energy? If not, why do you care?
20
21 This thread seems to be devolving into another debate about the
22 purpose of stable, and I'm mainly seeing arguments that have come up
23 countless times already.
24
25 Most of these arguments tend to point out things that are perceived as
26 being wrong with stable as it currently exists. Most of these
27 arguments are probably posted by people who don't even run stable, let
28 alone maintain it.
29
30 If somebody wants to actually "fix" stable IMO the best way to go
31 about that is to create a proposal for something new that people will
32 get behind. Gentoo tends to move forward by creating new things, not
33 by arguing about what is broken with old things.
34
35 What solution is even being proposed? Tell devs they're not allowed
36 to work on stable? That doesn't mean that their next thoughts will be
37 "wow, since I'm not allowed to spend 10 hours per week working on
38 something I cared about, I guess I'll spend those 10 hours per week
39 working on something that somebody else cares about." If it makes
40 Gentoo less useful to them personally, they're just as likely to just
41 drop other contributions they make on the side as they look for better
42 solutions.
43
44 IMO when stable teams create issues for maintainers by not being
45 responsive to bugs then this needs to be dealt with. However, the
46 Council has already allowed maintainers to drop stable keywords when
47 this happens, and I imagine they'd be responsive to dealing with
48 issues that are more sustained.
51 Rich