From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: rsync speed and space taken
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 03:40:30
1 Travis Tilley posted <416A6264.9020805@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Mon, 11 Oct 2004 06:37:24 -0400:
3
4 > Duncan wrote:
5 >> .. About 3 and a half minutes. I just timed it.
6 >
7 > rm -rf /usr/portage and time it again.
8
9 Well:
10
11 #ll /usr/portage
12 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Sep 26 18:02 /usr/portage -> /mnt/p/
13
14 I don't have /usr/portage, except as a symlink, for those apps that can't
15 follow PORTDIR=/mnt/p in /etc/make.conf, so unless emerge sync is one of
16 those (and let's /hope/ not), your suggestion above would have little
17 impact, here.
18
19 However, removing $PORTDIR is what I assume you meant, so after umounting
20 /mnt/p/src ($DISTDIR) and /mnt/p/pkg ($PKGDIR) so as not to lose them (I
21 learned my lesson when I presumed portage would know enough not to attempt
22 to rsync its $DISTDIR and $PKGDIR =:^(, but that's been covered in
23 bugzilla already), I backed up /mnt/p and deleted it, then timed an emerge
24 sync:
25
26 real 3m1.038s
27 user 0m6.512s
28 sys 0m25.001s
29
30 To get a better direct comparison, I then deleted it again, restored my
31 backup copy, and (after a few minutes lag time to prevent being called on
32 the carpet for syncing to quickly) did a standard emerge sync.
33
34 real 2m27.357s
35 user 0m30.395s
36 sys 0m10.033s
37
38 Two and a half minutes, that time, as compared to three minutes total
39 (from blank) sync, and three and a half(ish) minutes yesterday normal
40 sync. Note that while I consider all three timings "reasonable", I /do/
41 occasionally get stuck with a sync mirror that's feeding the initial
42 file at speeds turning over the tens and hundreds files counter, rather
43 than the thousands and ten-thousands files counters, in which case I
44 usually ^C abort the sync and try again, for a different rsync server.
45 The point is, there's enough variability at that end, that no conclusion
46 can be drawn due to the 30-second-ish differences in timings that I
47 measured.
48
49 In any case, 45 minutes on a 5Mbit connection as claimed by the upline
50 poster, definitely means something other than raw portage tree size or
51 local pipe bandwidth is the problem. Someone mentioned it took them about
52 that long with a 100MHz Pentium and 128M memory, which is what I suggested
53 the problem may be earlier, local machine performance, not tree size or
54 bandwidth limitations.
58 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
59 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
60 Benjamin Franklin
65 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list