From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GRP set consolidation
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 22:03:11
1 On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 17:34, Joshua Brindle wrote:
2 > Ok, we just had a conversation in #gentoo-dev and it seems most people
3 > are interested in this. The problem as it stands is that our mirrors are
4 > low on space and so other projects can't get space, such as embedded,
5 > hardened and even other archs. The main user of space is having 5 grp
6 > packagecd's for x86 alone. The idea is to build a consolidated grp set
7 > with a generic -mcpu (i686 or so) and then use that.
8 >
9 > As I'm sure this will become a large and flaming thread, and probably
10 > won't read them all I'll just go ahead and suggest that we add this to
11 > the next meeting to discuss it if there are large amounts of disagreement.
12
13 Just to reiterate what I had said on -dev, I think it is a good idea.
14 I'm not either "for" or "against" it, I just think having only one set
15 of packages to QA would make all our lives easier. I *can* see the need
16 for 2 GRP sets, perhaps a x86 and a i686 set, simply to please the users
17 that find GRP useful.
18
19 The other take on this is gentoopix and what it will provide. If it can
20 provide the same functionality as doing a GRP install, then I would say
21 we need to get moving on gentoopix and get rid of GRP (but not before).
22
23 Just my .02c
26 Chris Gianelloni
27 Developer