From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GPL-2 vs GPL-2+
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:00:53
At the moment we represent the software we consider under GNU General Public
License, version 2 of the license, but we cannot be sure it's alright to
license it to "any later version". Linux kernel for instance is licensed
_only_ under GPLv2, but not any later version.

What I propose is to copy licenses/GPL-2 to license/GPL-2+ and adding the
following notes at the start of the two files:

GPL-2:
Note: this license states that the software is licensed under GNU General
Public License version 2, and you might not be able to consider it licensed
under any later version.

GPL-2+:
Note: this license explicitly allows licensing under GNU General Public
License version 2 or, at your option, any later version.

Comments, ideas, proposals?

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Sound, ALSA, PAM, KDE, CJK, Ruby ...