From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GPL-2 vs GPL-2+
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 21:00:53
1 At the moment we represent the software we consider under GNU General Public
2 License, version 2 of the license, but we cannot be sure it's alright to
3 license it to "any later version". Linux kernel for instance is licensed
4 _only_ under GPLv2, but not any later version.
5
6 What I propose is to copy licenses/GPL-2 to license/GPL-2+ and adding the
7 following notes at the start of the two files:
8
9 GPL-2:
10 Note: this license states that the software is licensed under GNU General
11 Public License version 2, and you might not be able to consider it licensed
12 under any later version.
13
14 GPL-2+:
15 Note: this license explicitly allows licensing under GNU General Public
16 License version 2 or, at your option, any later version.
19 Comments, ideas, proposals?
22 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
23 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Sound, ALSA, PAM, KDE, CJK, Ruby ...