From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] what to do when an ebuild needs loads of RAM?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 07:18:22
1 On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:27:07 -0800
2 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > As the requirements for a package can vary based on a number of things
5 > or be reasonably fixed, I see a solution like this:
6 > An ebuild defines two variables:
7 > NEEDED_COMPILE_DISK
8 > NEEDED_COMPILE_RAM
9 > NEEDED_FINAL_DISK
10 > NEEDED_FINAL_RAM
11 >
12 > which should evaluate to a constant numeric value in Kb of the
13 > absolute maximum.
14
15 *If* we do that please lets use Mb as a few Kb won't make a difference
16 anyway. That said I don't think this is really an option in general as
17 we'd have to consider too many variables, CFLAGS and USE being the major
18 ones, to a lesser degree toolchain versions and ARCH. What combination
19 should be used to determine the "absolute maximum"?
20 Also I don't see any specifics how these variables should be used, would
21 that be up to the ebuild, an eclass or portage? Too many open questions
22 to seriously consider this yet.
23
24 Marius
29 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
30 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.